Lancaster County SC - Art

A varied collection of photos around this county... Lancaster County and its county seat were named for Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. The county was formed in 1785. A part of Lancaster County was removed in 1791 to form Kershaw County. Scotch-Irish settlers from Pennsylvania began moving into this upstate region in the 1750s. The area abounds with landmarks of historical significance. Buford's Massacre Site, the site of Col. Buford 1780 defeat by the British after the fall of Charles Town, with memorials to those who died in the Revolutionary War. Kilburnie Home, the oldest standing Lancaster residence. Built in the 1820's. The house has been moved to Craig Farm Road and is now a Bed & Breakfast inn. Old Presbyterian Church and Cemetery, the first brick church in the region. Built in 1862, it features Gothic revival architecture and is currently the home of the Lancaster County Society for Historical Preservation and is on the National Landmark Register. Lancaster County Courthouse was designed by Robert Mills in 1825-1828. The Courthouse is on the National Landmark Register. The Old Lancaster County Jail, used from 1823-1979 as the county jail, is also a national landmark. It was designed by Robert Mills.

1 - 14 of 14 (0.001 s)

1 - 14 of 14 (0.001 s)

Cache: mysql | 1 | 1 | 1 | 1